My name is Caroline, a Registered Dietitian Nutritionist (RDN), Licensed Dietitian, and Certified Personal Trainer (ACSM) currently living in Columbia, SC. My two passions, healthy eating and photography, fused together to form this little blog back in 2014. My food philosophy is simple: I believe we should fuel our bodies with wholesome, real foods that come from the Earth, not made in a food lab. I love trying new foods and experimenting in the kitchen, and you can often find me eating meals full of color and shopping at my local farmer’s market every Saturday. Unfortunately, in college I discovered after years of being extremely sick that I have a severe gluten intolerance. Having to forego all gluten in my diet is tough, but over the years I have learned to create many of my favorite dishes without the naughty “G” word. I am ~80-90% plant-based and am always incorporating plenty of fruits and vegetables into my day any chance I get.
I graduated from the University of Georgia (GO DAWGS!) with a B.S. in Dietetics in 2014. I then worked at a WIC Clinic in Athens, GA (WIC= Women, Infants, and Children) for 10 months, a government program targeted towards nutrition counseling and free food vouchers to low-income pregnant women, infants, and children up to age 5. Counseling families and seeing how family dynamics affected nutrition was eye-opening. I then moved to South Florida and worked as a full-time clinical dietitian in an acute care hospital, as well as a part-time dietitian with a Private Practice called Healthy Steps Nutrition. I currently work with Carolina Nutrition Consultants in Lexington, SC (right outside Columbia) working in long-term care settings in addition to nutrition counseling, food demos, and group education classes. I’m very passionate about whole food, plant-based diets and seeing the huge impact they have on health. Seeing clients come into my office and seeing their change not only in their health and body weight, but in their self-confidence and mental outlook is extremely rewarding, pushing me to be the best dietitian I can be. My dream world is to one day live in a world where people crave fruits and vegetables, rather than greasy pizza and hotdogs.
Besides spending my time studying nutrition or cooking in my kitchen, I am also obsessed with live music [String Cheese Incident, TAUK, Twiddle Umphrey’s McGee, Lettuce, Papadosio, and Disclosure just to name a few ;)], spending time with my boyfriend, my kitten Clyde, the mountains, and my family and friends. I truly belong outdoors or anywhere in nature, and I am addicted to fitness (yoga, barre, running, boxing, you name it, I love it). I’m a hippie at heart with a case of wanderlust, but enjoy settling down at home with my loved ones.
- Country I’ve traveled to: Croatia .
- Restaurant: Living Kitchen (Charlotte, NC) and Artisanal (Black Mountain, NC) .
- Season: Fall.
- Recipe: Snickerdoodle Cookie Dough Bites.
- Cocktail: a fresh mojito or really good handcrafted marg. YUM.
- Workout: Long distance running and the Megaformer (pilates—addicted! Please come to SC!)
- Band: I live for music so it’s hard to narrow it down. It would have to be between Incubus, String Cheese Incident, John Mayer, and Citizen Cope.
- TV Show: How I Met Your Mother, Homeland, Shameless, GOT
- Sport: Soccer. I played from age 5 until senior year of High School.
- Food: I am seriously addicted to pizza! It is always my weekend splurge. My favorite is a crispy gluten free crust topped with mushrooms, garlic, basil, tomatoes, mozzarella cheese, spinach, onions, and broccoli.
Other life faves ā” : | fresh-pressed juices and smoothies | sunshine | yoga | farmers markets | lazy sundays | traveling | my kitten clyde | costa rica | fashion | gluten free cupcakes | german shorthaired pointers | homemade vanilla almond milk | boxing | gorgeous shoes | NYC | my food processor | preventative medicine | meditation |sunrises | long runs |